Wednesday, April 25, 2012

WELCOME

My name is Jim Musser.  I've been a woodworker since I was 12 or so and for the past 20 years, a professional woodworker.  Currently I am a project manager for a construction company in Southern New Jersey that specializes in home remodeling, but I still manage to come home covered in saw dust more often than not.  I've been blogging about my model railroading and other hobbies at mussersteelmill.blogspot.com for about four years but never really though about posting any of my wood projects until now - not that I even have time to keep the other blog updated as much as I'd like.

My philosophy - I wouldn't call myself a Fine woodworker - I don't spend hours getting my chisels and plane blades razor sharp; I don't build intricate tables and chairs using stepped mortice and tenons.  I wish I could, but more importantly I wish I could make a decent living doing that type of art, but I can't.   I am skilled in a different way - I can copy almost anything from a photo or drawing, and I can usually build it pretty fast, in a neat and precise manner.   To do so I find efficiencies wherever possible, which makes my type of woodworking probably more accessible to a broader audience.  I don't have an elaborate shop and in fact, build most of my pieces on-site using cheap, portable tools.  My only splurge is a Festool Track Saw, which I find invaluable to site built cabinetry and architectural millwork.    Back to my shop - it's roughly 10'x7' and mostly filled with stored equipment.  I have an old Craftsman Bandsaw that needs new tires and is only there for sentimental reasons - I bought it when I was 12 or 13.   I have my Grandfather's old benchtop Rockwell drill press, a 20 year old Delta miter saw, a Delta 12" disc sander, a Ryobi grinder, and a Jet midi lathe.

My posts will vary from project photos, how to posts, tool reviews, tips and tricks, and whatever else I'm up to at that time.

For now, a recently completed built-in project.  Fairly simple design.  No dadoes, mortices, biscuits, just glue and mechanical fasteners - built in it's entirety about five feet from it's installed location.  All finishes were brushed on.  I'll cover the construction in a later blog sometime.

Simple and fast

Closest Column conceals a steel post.  Shelves are adjustable.
Yes, I could have done real raised panels on-site, but the budget was limited so simple, mitered, ogee basecap serves as "faux" panels.

No comments:

Post a Comment