Wednesday, April 25, 2012

HALF TURNINGS

I'm working on a project that requires two approximately 36" tall half columns on either side, in cherry.  Now you can find some of this sort of thing through a variety of suppliers, however, they are both expensive and only made in very specific heights, usually geared toward kitchen cabinet heights.  I won't be sure of the exact height until I assemble things so wanting to be able to field adjust things, provide an unique, one of a kind design, and save a few bucks, I ordered a 3" half round cherry molding from a local millwork supplier, and turned the capital and the base for each column out of some cherry I had laying around.

In the Jet Midi Lathe
There is a trick to making half turnings - glue up two boards to equal the total diameter you want, but put a piece of paper between them during the glue up.  The boards will hold together well enough to turn, but after, whack the joint from the end with a chisel and the two perfect mirror halves will pop apart.   For this project I glued two 8/4 boards,  jointed on the glue face, with Titebond 1 yellow wood glue.  Be sure to clamp well.
Notice the paper in the glue joint.  
A word on the lathe and my turning tools - I use a small Jet Midi Lathe that I bough about 10 years ago for $200.  Now they are around $500 or more, but have variable speed.  On mine to adjust the speed you need to shift the belt on the v-pulleys - this is actually real easy and fast to do.  I use a set of very cheap, old Craftsman turning tools - a parting tool, a skew, a gouge, and some sort of slightly curved tool that I have no idea the name of.  I keep them sharp using a 6" Ryobi grinding, making sure to keep them cool when grinding.  I'm running out of steel on them so I might have to invest in a set of new tools soon.
Splitting the piece
Finished product in profile


No comments:

Post a Comment